Andabak scores in final minute to rally Pioneers to 2-1 win at Lee

Andabak scores in final minute to rally Pioneers to 2-1 win at Lee

CLEVELAND, Tenn. --- Ivan Andabak scored on a free kick with 57 seconds left as Tusculum University rallied for a 2-1 victory at Lee University in non-conference men's soccer action Wednesday night.

Andabak curled his attempt from 20 yards through the wall and past keeper Daniel Hrenko as the Pioneers (8-6-1) scored twice in the second half to pick up the win over the Flames (8-6-3) in their final non-conference match of the season. It was the third time this season that a Tusculum match was decided on a goal in the final minute, and the first such victory of the year for the Pioneers.

Shawn Foster also scored for the Pioneers, who outshot the Flames 15-12 in the match. Sam Gilbert made his second start of the season in goal for Tusculum and recorded three saves for his first career victory.

Samaan Williams scored a first-half goal for Lee, which wrapped up its regular season with its third consecutive loss. The Flames outshot the Pioneers 8-3 in the first half, but fell to a 12-4 shot onslaught by the Pioneers after halftime.

The first scoring chance for the Flames in the first half came with 13 minutes remaining, as Williams headed a corner kick over the Tusculum goal. Tanner Carter also had a chance on a header in the 33rd minute, but his attempt went over the crossbar.

In the 37th minute, Gilbert came out and made a great save on a blast by the Flames' Matt Chartier, but Williams collected the rebound and fired home his sixth goal of the season at 36:34 for a 1-0 Flames lead.

Tusculum was awarded a free kick from 25 yards in the final minute of the half, but Oscar Rubio Jimenez saw his attempt sail directly into the arms of Lee keeper Hrenko.

In the second half, Gilbert was able to save a shot from Lee's Palle Jespersen as he drove in from the left wing in the 54th minute. Three minutes later, the Pioneers found the equalizer as a corner kick from Dani Gongora connected with Foster in front for his second goal of the season, locking the game at 1-1 at 57:49.

The Flames had a chance with 22 minutes left but Gilbert collected a shot from Carter to preserve the tie. The Pioneers' Jonny Winter was left open in front with 18 minutes to play, but Hrenko was quick to grab the shot from short range.

With overtime looming, the Pioneers were awarded a free kick at the top of the box with just over a minute to play. Andabak's kick went through the Lee four-man wall and slipped through Hrenko with only 57 seconds remaining. Tusculum was able to possess the ball for most of the final minute to come away with the road victory.

Both teams were awarded six corner kicks in the match, while the Pioneers were called for 12 fouls to nine by the Flames. Tusculum was flagged five times for offsides, while Lee was called twice. Hrenko finished with five saves in goal for the Flames.

Tusculum will conclude the regular season on Saturday at Coker against the Cobras. A Pioneer victory over the Cobras would clinch a home game in next Tuesday's SAC Championship quarterfinals.