Pioneers shut out by Lees-McRae in non-conference match

Pioneers shut out by Lees-McRae in non-conference match

GREENEVILLE, Tenn. --- Tom Deeley registered a goal and an assist to lead Lees-McRae to a 3-0 victory over Tusculum in non-conference men's soccer action Wednesday night at Pioneer Field.

Agustin Ortiz and Pol Vassart also scored for the Bobcats (6-3-2), who snapped a four-match winless streak by scoring in the 30th, 52nd and 80th minute against the Pioneers (1-5-4).

The first shot on goal of the match came from the Bobcats' Harvey McMorrow in the 13th minute, whose shot after a long feed was smothered by Pioneer keeper Alejandro Quiriti. In the 17th minute, Quiriti was able to deflect a one-on-one shot by Vassart wide of the goal to keep the match scoreless.

The Pioneers nearly took the lead in the 24th minute, but Lees-McRae keeper Tyler Pavlet came charging out to knock a loose ball away from Tusculum's Oscar Rubio Jimenez as he neared the top of the box.

In the 30th minute, Ortiz collected his first goal of the season as he took a nifty back heel pass from Deeley and put a shot to the left corner past Quiriti for a 1-0 Lees-McRae lead.

Deeley looked to push the Lees-McRae lad to 2-0 in the 51st minute, but his blast from 15 yards away was tipped over the crossbar by Quiriti. The Bobcats would cash in on the ensuing corner kick, as McMorrow served to the head of Vassart who put the ball past Quiriti at 51:10 for his fourth goal of the season.

Tusculum nearly responded within 30 seconds as a shot from the right side by Edgar Cervantes was directed wide by Pavlet. The Pioneers had several more chances over the next few minutes, but Pavlet came up with saves on Andreas Kvam in the 53rd minute and Marten Niilop in the 56th minute.

The Pioneers' Jonny Winter nearly connected in the 74th minute but his blast from 25 yards sailed just over the crossbar. Not content to sit on a 2-0 lead, the Bobcats made it 3-0 with 10:48 left as Deeley scored his seventh goal on a header from a feed by David Frederick.

Tusculum nearly thought it had a penalty kick with 8:19 left, but offsides was ruled just before Connor Green was taken down in the box. The Pioneers' last shot attempt came from Shawn Foster and went high of the Bobcats' goal with 6:58 remaining.

Pavlet finished with four saves for Lees-McRae to record his second shutout of the season. Quiriti had five saves for the Pioneers on eight shots on goal by the Bobcats.

Lees-McRae had a slim 12-11 edge in shot attempts in the match, while Tusculum had a 7-5 advantage in corner kicks. Each team was whistled for 11 fouls, while Tusculum was flagged nine times for offsides to four by Lees-McRae.

Tusculum will return to South Atlantic Conference action on Sunday at 4:30 p.m. at Pioneer Field against Coker.